Education: the Foundation for Success
Millennium Dental Technologies and the Institute for Advanced Laser Dentistry (IALD) are pleased to present thought-provoking professional speakers to assist in your commitment to providing comprehensive continual education.
Like you, we recognize the importance of providing a first-rate educational experience for Clinicians across the U.S and worldwide. That’s why we’ve assembled a panel of exceptional speakers with broad industry experience to share cutting edge techniques, tips and tools for practice improvement and better clinical outcomes that can directly impact patient health and practice profitability.
There are 4 key categories of presentations:
- Overview of Lasers in Dentistry
- Lasers in Periodontal Applications
- Lasers in Peri-Implant Applications
- Laser Evidence and Research
“Catch the Wave – Lasers In Dentistry”
Laser technology has become ubiquitous in the field of dentistry, but there is no one-size-fits all (or one-wavelength-treats-all) dental laser. Understanding the physics of lasers and wavelength interaction can help clinicians choose the correct laser for their clinical needs. This course will review the physics of lasers and how this affects clinical usage.
Emphasis will be placed on laser periodontitis therapy, particularly use of the free running pulsed Nd:YAG laser for periodontitis. Clinical cases will be discussed.
- How to choose the correct laser for your clinical needs
- Why the physics of lasers determines the clinical use
- New ways to treat periodontitits using LANAP (laser assisted new attachment procedure)
“Dental Lasers In and Out of the Pocket: What They Do, What Belongs, and What Does Not”
Lasers continue to be controversial in dentistry, and have been so since their introduction to the profession more than 20 years ago. Much of the confusion derives from marketing claims that have been made by companies selling the lasers and the lack of good, solid research to dispel the false claims and support correct ones. Lasers have been the device looking for a procedure.
From laser physics to hard and soft tissue interactions and wavelengths of various machines, this lecture will offer the attendee a good grasp of what is possible and impossible for lasers to accomplish. A survey of all procedures for which lasers can be used which are billable, along with the corresponding ADA code and clinical pictures will be examined.
- The laser wavelengths available to dentistry, now and in the past
- Laser physics and their importance in healthcare applications
- Laser energy interaction with living human tissue and the effect of wavelength on that interaction
- Hard tissue lasers and their applications and design changes past and recent changes
- Surgical vs. non-surgical laser periodontal therapy
“Laser Periodontal Pocket Therapy – Success with Nd:YAG Lasers for Teeth & Implants”
Lasers are an exciting new addition to the dental armamentarium and are increasingly being used for/applied to various dental procedures. Knowledge and understanding of basic laser principles are important for every dentist to better deal with various marketing claims. This course will review various types of lasers and their applications in dentistry.
- Be able to differentiate among various laser wavelengths
- Understand the application of various types of lasers
- Learn effective periodontal applications of lasers
“Successful Periodontal Treatment – Tooth Survival over Time”
One of the key criteria for determining the success of periodontal therapies is tooth survival over time. This is an important factor for both the clinician and the patient to be aware of, and to consider when discussing treatment recommendations. The purpose of this study is to evaluate tooth survival over time in a population of patients treated with the LANAP protocol and to compare that data to previously published studies of tooth survival utilizing conventional non-surgical treatment methods. There are four modules to this presentation. They can be presented in their entirety as a five-hour lecture, or selected individually or in combination. Following are the four modules, which when presented on their own are each approximately 70 minutes in length.
- Periodontal Disease Etiology, Progression Prevalence. Are we outnumbered and outsmarted?
- Wavelength is the Key. A discussion of dental lasers, laser physics, the shortfalls/morbidity of conventional surgery which can be overcome with the right laser wavelength, parameters, protocol and training.
- The Story of the PerioLase. Levels of FDA certification, pyramid of evidence, treatment protocol. LANAP protocol as an integral part of the standard of care for periodontal disease.
- Putting it all Together. Clinical results, long-term cases, tooth survival study. Discussion on the importance of having all the elements together: FDA certifications, pyramid of evidence, wavelength, defined protocol, training, and support.
- Learn about periodontal disease etiology, progression and prevalence.
- Learn about laser physics and how they effect laser applications.
- Understand periodontal surgical shortfalls and how to choose a laser to overcome them.
- Learn about the history of the PerioLase MVP-7 for the LANAP protocol and the progression of its acceptance as an important part of the standard of care for the treatment of periodontal disease.
- Understand how the LANAP protocol compares to conventional surgery by evaluating the evidence that supports these results.
“The LANAP® Protocol: A Paradigm Shift in the Treatment of Periodontal Disease”
The traditional treatment of periodontal disease has remained essentially unchanged for decades. With periodontal disease being associated or a contributing factor in many systemic diseases and complication, the need for acceptance of successful treatment is essential for the patients’ overall health. The LANAP protocol, which utilizes the Periolase MVP-7 Nd-YAG free-running pulsed laser, is the only FDA cleared instrument for True Regeneration – new cementum, new PDL and new alveolar bone.
- Understand the basic differences between lasers that are in use in dentistry
- Understand how the LANAP protocol works to aid in regeneration of the periodontal apparatus
- Understand the major advantages the LANAP protocol over traditional periodontal treatment modalities.
Raiders of the Lost Attachment – The Effects of Smoking and Periodontal Loss
Periodontal loss of attachment is the result of multiple factors, some difficult to modify and others very controllable by the patient. For years, tobacco use and smoking in particular have been the name of periodontal treatments and their resultant successes, failures, and durability. This presentation will attempt to present modern methods of smoking cessation, the evidence linking tobacco usage and smoking with increase loss of attachment, and actual patient cases where LANAP therapy has lead to success or failure.
- Learn modern methods of smoking cessation to educate your patients
- Address ‘vaping’ and health impact
- Learn more about the evidence linking tobacco usage and smoking to its effects of periodontal loss of attachment
The Future of Lasers in Periodontal Therapy: Science, Hype or Snake Oil
Substantial controversy continues to surround the use of lasers in periodontal therapy. The results of recent research studies suggest that lasers provide a viable alternative to traditional periodontal surgery. Properly applied, lasers produce less bleeding, swelling and discomfort. They treat the cause of periodontal disease rather than the effects, by specifically targeting identifiable periodontal pathogens. Regeneration of periodontal tissues is the gold standard by which we measure treatment effectiveness. The FDA has cleared the PerioLase MVP-7 with the LANAP protocol as an enhanced method for achieving this elusive goal, while eliminating many of the negative sequale associated with conventional pocket elimination surgery.
Key Points Include:
- Numerous examples of exceptionally favorable clinical outcomes
- How are lasers used to effectively treat periodontal disease?
- What are the differences between the many lasers being used in dentistry and how they differ from each other? Are they all created equal?
- How does laser periodontal treatment differ from traditional pocket elimination surgery
- What is LANAP and is there evidence to support this treatment modality?
- Is this method of treatment a “flash in the pan” or does this represent the dawn of a new future, solidly based on biology and physics?
“The LAPIP® Protocol – You CAN Save a Failing Implant”
Millions of implants have been placed over the last decade, and an increasing number are compromised with peri-implantitis. This lecture explains the historical approach to trying to save an implant; discusses and contrasts current treatment methods and philosophies. The LAPIP protocol, a Nd:YAG laser –based peri-implantitis treatment, is introduced with a brief over of laser physics. Clinical cases will be presented.
- Compare current treatment options for failing implants
- Learn about laser physics and how they affect laser applications.
- Understand the application of LAPIP protocol for the treatment of peri-implantitis.
“What to do when Good Teeth and Implants go Bad? The Standard of Care for Laser Periodontitis Treatment”
The PerioLase® MVP- 7™ for the LANAP® Protocol has set the Standard of Care for Laser Periodontitis Treatment. Implemented by over 30% of active, US-based AAP members and supported by 2 human histology studies. This FDA cleared technology and evidence-based protocol provide consistent, reproducible, regenerative, positive bone-building results to reverse gum disease. Take control over periodontitis in your practice and treat the disease most people have, the way they want it treated. This is the ONLY laser and protocol with scientific proof of a regenerative outcome and no adverse effects.
- Understand laser energy and how the LANAP® protocol creates the specific environment to turn periodontal “degeneration” into “regeneration” around failing teeth and implants.
A Periodontist’s Guide to LANAP® in Private Practice
Whenever a paradigm shift occurs or new technology is introduced into the private practice setting, the transition may be difficult. With preparation, the periodontist may have an easier time. The business of dentistry may be disarming for some practitioners to employ, and by using good science and good business techniques, the periodontist will be exposed to various methods of incorporating the Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP) into private practice. Similar to a mini-MBA program, this course helps to smooth out the learning curve to implement the PerioLase MVP-7 Nd:YAG laser into a periodontal practice by showing the practitioner:
- How to prepare staff for the transition
- How to prepare referrals for the transition
- How to prepare patients for the transition
- Introduction to lasers and specific indications for the PerioLase MVP-7 about teeth and dental implants.
- Expose practitioners to various models of implementing the PerioLase MVP-7 in practice.
- Discussion of what models worked and what models did not work so that practitioners may have success with LANAP.
“The LANAP® protocol: Evidence-based Laser Periodontitis Treatment”
Although approximately 85% of Americans suffer from some form of gum disease, about 97% of those with moderate to severe periodontitis are not being treated. Learn how to take control of periodontal disease in your patients with an evidence-based laser periodontitis treatment with high patient acceptance and proven results.
About the LANAP protocol: The LANAP protocol is the original laser periodontitis treatment – and the only laser periodontitis treatment with guaranteed clinical results. The unique properties of the PerioLase® MVP-7™, a True Pulsed Nd:YAG laser designed specifically to support the LANAP protocol, selectively targets diseased or infected pocket tissue and strips necrotic epithelium away from the connective tissue at the histologic level of the reté ridges away from the underlying connective tissue. Two university-based human histology studies and 20 years of clinical results support the efficacy of the LANAP protocol.
- Understand laser application for the LANAP procedure.
- Why it works and how to make it work for you, your patients and your referral base
- Learn how periodontal disease has been conventionally treated over time and the benefits of the LANAP protocol as a no cut, no sew, no fear laser alternative for the treatment of periodontal disease
- Learn how to build on the periodontal success for your patients as a strategy for practice success